Friday, March 21, 2008

Rich Chocolate Cake

If You Want Chocolate...

Rich Chocolate Cake:

Ingredients:

  • 250g butter
  • 270g dark chocolate
  • 6 eggs, seperated
  • 250g sugar
  • 120g flour, sieved
  • An extra couple of bars of milk or dark chocolate (optional)

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  2. Grease and line a 22cm springform tin.
  3. Melt butter and chocolate together over bowl of simmering water.
  4. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick.
  5. Add in melted chocolate and mix well
  6. Fold in flour using a big metal spoon.
  7. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
  8. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
  9. If desired, add extra chopped chocolate chips.
  10. Pour into tin and bake for 40 mintutes, or until cake is set at sides but soft and glossy in the center.
  11. Cool compleatly before removing from tin.
  12. Serve with Bailey's Cream (whip 200ml cream with one tablespoon cream and half a teaspoon ground ginger).
Hello again, all. Hope we're keeping well.
Yup, I'm still on the never-ending chocolate cake quest! I know, I know, how long can it go on for? Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't think it'll ever end. There are just too many different types; Light spongey ones, or really dense, intensily chocolatey ones, ones covered in icing, ones that go with ice cream, ones to be eaten hot, to be eaten cold, the list just keeps going. I don't think there will ever be an 'untimate', but I can at least find a couple of really, really good ones. I've even come across a recipe for one with potato in it! I can't wait to give that a go!
This is definitly one of those increadibly rich cakes that needs no icing, it's cake that's meant to be eaten for its own sake. Serious cake, if you will. It's almost like a giant brownie rather that a cake, so a small slice is satisfying, too much and you will feel sick >_<
I got the recipe out of The Irish Time's Magazine, and it's gone straight into my recipe book. Personally, I wasn't that wild about it, it was all a bit too rich and, well, chocolaty for my liking (I prefer lighter desserts), but everybody else fell in love with it! It's really easy to make too, so long as you take care folding in the egg whites. I was a little concerned when I took it out of the oven, it really did look underdone in the middle, but you just have to imagine it as... like... cement! It'll set when it's cool ^_^
So, that's another triumph over Betty Crocker ;)

Until next time....

7 comments:

Notebooks said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Home Theater said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Carla said...

Glad to see you are back and posting! I know what you mean about those rich desserts that make you sick if you eat a big slice. Maybe you should try turning this recipe into cupcakes (mini cupcakes even) so it isn't too heavy on the stomach :) Ooo how about cupcakes with a Bailey's buttercream? You know, Irish cream instead of milk. Or a combination if there's too much alcohol flavor.

adam brown said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

Sophie said...

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

mr.sound and mrs.sound said...

I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. Whoa the rich chocolate cake, awesome! You see, we have this food site Foodista.com that is a food and cooking encyclopaedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques. Not only that you help us and other people in tasting new recipes but your submitted recipes will be raffled. You will have a chance to win $100 gift card to Sur La Table by just sharing your recipes to all. One entry per recipe, the more you submit recipes the better your chances. Click HERE for more info about the drawing. Or maybe you can try our link back system at Foodista an easy way to get link backs between two food related sites, if you’re not into sharing your recipes or knowledge. Enjoy and see you there!

dawn said...

i'm visiting ur blog first time...chocolate cake sounds delicious...i wanna try it...right away i'm gonna get the ingredients from www.myethnicworld.com and try it...thanks for sharing.